THE IDIOT BOX
The first
time I saw a television set was when I joined Indian Air Force in 1970. On the
first day itself, I found a crowd of people sitting in the recreation hall in
our camp watching a small screen. I did not know then that it was a television
set. I wondered why the screen was so small. I looked back to see the projector
room and the rays coming from it, as happens in a cinema hall. But, there were none. I could not ask anyone
on the mystery as all were sitting or standing with their eyes glued on the
screen. The recreation hall was full. I too joined them deciding to enjoy what
was on the screen, rather than worrying about how it happened. Later, I learned
from my friends that I was watching a television screen. I had a fare idea on
what a television was from my readings; but never did I expect that I would be
able to set my eyes on it. It was a great adventure for me and my first letter
to home had carried the story in all its glory.
* *
* * *
* * *
Years
later, I got married. By the time I left Air Force after my initial term of
engagement and got re-employed near my home town, I was father to two kids.
*
* * *
* * *
*
Frankly, it
was not in my nature to wish for something that was not affordable. A television set remained unaffordable to me even after two decades of my first adventure of
having seen one. Unaffordable in the sense that I felt it was not wise to
invest a big amount just for the luxury of it; considering my financial
prospects in those days. Not only that, I was cautious more on its
disadvantages rather than advantages. That had always been so with me, when it
came to spending. I would be inclined to find fault with that which was not affordable
to me, like the old fox blaming the grapes for being sour.
My family
life was quite comfortable and enjoyable as such; without any necessity of
spices such as a television set to add to its taste. That was what I thought. I
enjoyed the company of my wife and children. My wife, a teacher, and my children
would reach home before I reach back from the office. They would be eagerly
waiting for my arrival, with many stories to be disclosed. It was a practice
with me to buy some fruits or bakery items on my return to home. My children
would pounce on me the moment I reach home. They would compete to grab the
packet from me and then would want me to listen to their adventures at school.
It used to be a hard time for my wife to get me to the table for a tea and
snacks. At tea, it would be her turn. She would tell me, might be about an
article she read somewhere, might be about the discomforts at school or might
be about a new dish that she planned to experiment. I enjoyed listening to them.
My turn to talk would be after my bath when I would stretch my legs on an easy
chair in the porch, catching the fresh breeze from outside. Time was always
running short for us to share our day to day experiences. As twilight drew the
curtain down for the day, I would check on the home works given to my children.
And later they would indulge in their own studies and preparations. My wife
would be busy either in the kitchen or preparing the teaching notes.
One day, as usual, I was coming back from the office with a packet in my hand. I smelt
that something had gone wrong. The children seemed to be not much enthusiastic
about the packet in my hand. That disappointed me. It was an easy walk for me
to the table for the tea. I became eager not to have my tea, but to have my
wife speak.
And she
spoke. She told me of her visit to the neighbour on hearing that they had
bought a television set. TV was not a common household item in those days in
our village. She had taken the children too. The cat had come out of the bag. I
knew then the reason for the dismal performance of my children when I arrived.
The glamour of the television had taken away the glamour of my packet.
The day
next was a holiday. My younger daughter sought my permission to visit the
neighbour. She was the bolder of the two. She wanted to watch the television. I
looked at my elder one and found that she also was equally eager to know my
response. Holidays were precious to me. There were many games in which we
indulge in holidays. There would be many jokes to share. The stress and strain
from the routine would get relieved. Every one of us had to be together to
enjoy the fun of a holiday. That had always been so. If one link was out, the
whole necklace would fall down.
More than
that, I disliked the habit of my children frequently visiting the neighbourhood.
Even when we visit, I liked it to be together. However, I did not want to spoil
the mood of my children on a holiday like that. So, without outwardly showing
my disapproval, I just advised them that it was not very ideal to visit neighbourhood
frequently. I could see the charm dripping away from their faces.
For the
first time, my wife suggested to me the idea of buying a television set. I
tried to convince her of the futility in investing a large amount which would
only result in drawing back the attention of our children from their studies.
The silence on her face did not tell me whether she agreed or not. I had never
thought of buying a TV earlier. For news, we had the newspapers. For films, we
used to visit the nearby theaters quite often.
A visit
from a friend turned the table totally against me. I tried to gain support from
him by bringing into our general discussions, the ill effects of television on
the children. I thought he would agree as he also did not have a set at his
home. But things went the other way. He said he was planning to buy one. He
gave me a lecture on its educational value. And that was a point for my wife to
cling on. I agreed to buy a set.
Arriving at
a decision often got delayed with me. But once decided, I was quick to act on
it. So, the very next week I bought one set. It was a TV with a small sized
screen. I was happy. Not because a TV adorned our drawing room, but because I
found the charm back on the faces of my dear ones.
On the next
day, as usual, I carried a packet of eatables while returning from office. At
home, I found no one waiting for me. I entered the drawing room. All were busy
watching the TV. For a moment they threw a glance at me, and then their eyes
shifted back to the TV. The children were not coming to grab the packet from
me. I kept it on the fridge. Slowly I walked to the dining table and pulled out
a chair. It seemed that the noise woke up my wife. She called out that she
would be coming in a moment. None had any thing to talk. After serving me the
tea as fast as she could, my wife was back with the children for watching the
TV. I felt disillusioned.
I began to
realize what I was losing. The TV had started commanding attraction. I was no
more an attraction. They had nothing to talk to me. I stopped bringing the
usual packets while coming back from the office. No one seemed to notice even
that. At stake was not only my happiness but also the prospect of the studies
of my children. As expected, the children started showing signs of disinterest
in their studies. I could not blame them. What else was the purpose of buying
the TV, if not for watching? Oh! God, what a splendid educational value it has!
The TV made
me unimportant and unwanted. It parted my family from me. Not only that, it started
parting the children between themselves. One would want to see the cartoons
while the other wanted to see film. My wife too joined the fray with her
eagerness to watch the serials. I had to find a solution to the whole problem.
The only remedy I could think of was to send this guest out of home once and
for ever.
But, how? I
had to scheme things. The guest was a darling to others, even though the worst
enemy to me. It would not be possible to throw him out alive. Others would not
accept it. Such an action would be very detrimental to the interest of peace
and happiness at home. I had to somehow kill him. Kill him in such a way that
he wouldn’t fetch life again. Kill him in such a way that it should look like a
natural death and not as a murder. And then his corpse would no more be an
attraction.
The
decision had been taken. Now, the remaining part was to implement it in a most
unsuspicious manner. I decided to cut the wires inside the TV after opening its
back cover. I can do that in the absence of others even if it meant taking one
day leave. But, for that I should know how to open the back cover. So, I set
off to a TV repairing shop run by a friend of mine just to watch and learn how
to open the back cover. The man was already doing his operations on the inside
of a TV. I decided to wait and watch till he opened the next. After exchanging
greetings, I just talked to him on general topics as if I had come only to
revive our friendship. He never raised his head again to look at me while I
talked. He was totally absorbed in his work, but nodded now and then. That was
enough. I just wanted to justify my standing there till he opened another.
My wait
turned out to be futile. Losing patience, I asked him straight as to how the
back cover could be opened. For the first time, he raised his face and looked
at me. “Why should you know?” He asked. “Bring it to me if you have a problem.
It is dangerous to open it by yourself.” He advised. I agreed and meekly walked
out.
Things were
not running the way I thought. I hoped against hope that it would get
malfunctioned by itself some way. Nothing happened and days moved on.
I didn’t
have to wait long before another idea struck my mind. It was an advertisement
notice found between the sheets of a newspaper at my office that kicked up the
idea in me. The advertisement was about an exchange scheme of the same brand of
our TV whereby one can get a new one with a screen of larger size. The price of
the old one would be decided by its age and the company promised to pay reasonably
well. Their only condition was that the old one must be in a working condition.
I was
surprised at the quickness by which my mind worked. Here was a chance to take
the TV out of home. But, I had to be careful. The suggestion of exchange should
come from my wife. It should appear as her idea. I took the notice to home and
kept it secretly between the sheets of our next day’s newspaper. When I came
back from office that day, I found that she was quick to serve the tea. She
told me about the notice found. I kept silent. She said that a larger screen
would help relieve the eyes of its strain. I listened and nodded in agreement.
“The offer was only for a limited number of days.” She reminded me. I agreed to
exchange it. She knew that, if possible, I would never allow money to be a
hindrance to our happiness. I suggested that I could carry the TV on my scooter
back. “That is right”, agreed my wife. “People carry even the risky gas
cylinder like that”. “Why unnecessarily pay for a taxi?” She justified. That was
it. My plan was working out.
Next day I
tied up the TV well on the back seat of my scooter. My wife helped me to do
that. On the way, I stopped my scooter and telephoned my TV friend. I enquired
whether he would be interested in buying a TV. He said he would see it and
decide. I took the TV to him and sold it for whatever money I could get for it.
At home, in
the evening, all were eagerly waiting for me. No; not for me. They were waiting
for the new TV with the larger screen. No need to say how disappointed they
were to see me coming empty-handed. I put on a melancholic face and lied that
the TV had fallen down from the scooter while negotiating a gutter. I told that
it had been given for repair; but the damages were too many and it would take
long to get it back.
A few days
passed. It was as if some one very dear was dead. I thought they would recover
slowly from the grief. And then I could say that the serviceman had given up
his hope of repairing it and that we would consider buying another later.
Not long
after, I saw them again waiting eagerly for my arrival. Their faces displayed
some sort of disapproval and disbelief. My wife wanted to know why I lied about
the TV getting repaired. She had made an enquiry at the servicing shop on her
own to know the progress of it’s repair work. I had no much of an answer. I was
caught red handed and my reliability stood exposed.
The old
days were never to come back. A deadly silence prevailed at home. Conversations
were reduced to the bare minimum. My ears thirsted to hear a hearty laugh. It
became unbearable for me to see their gloomy faces.
I was left
with no option. No one asked for it; but I bought home a new TV with a large
screen.
- - - - -
No comments:
Post a Comment