During my one tour, I happened to meet an ex-serviceman with whom I always had a cordial relation. Among things we talked of, it so happened that the topic came on liquor consumption. “How is it now? Do you still have the habit?”, just queried casually.
“Why
should I not, when the Govt is providing it at a cheaper price?” he justified
his habit.
“The
Govt should change its policy of supplying liquor bottles and instead should
give a liquor allowance. Those who do not consume need not fall at a loss on
that count and those who consume may also get tempted to change their habit and
take the allowance instead.” I suggested.
“But
there is no compulsion to consume. One can restrict buying according to their
needs.”, he replied.
“When
you go to the canteen, the temptation cannot be harnessed easily. When variety
of bottles are found displayed, one gets tempted to buy his full quota even if
he doesn’t need that much. In one way, Govt is compelling a person to drink
more. The number of bottles runs from 4 to 10 every month, according to the
ranks at the time of retirement. And they prohibit selling the bottles too. How
can a person consume so much liquor every month?” I argued.
“It
can be. I consume all my four bottles every month”, he reasoned.
“Haven’t
you ever read the warning on the bottles that alcohol consumption is injurious
to health?”, I asked.
“Yes.
But four to ten a month may be okay for health. Or else why should the Govt
give like that?” he wondered.
It
was my turn now to answer.
“Probably
because your life span would reduce considerably with that ‘injurious to
health’ intake and then the Govt’s liability to pay you pension would end. And
then the quota is allowed to your wife, so that the family pension also comes
to an end early”, I replied with annoyance.
“You
are talking rubbish”, he said. It was
now his turn to get annoyed.
“May
be. But I often wonder why the Govt gives warning against it and at the same
time ensure its availability everywhere. That is hypocrisy”, I retorted.
“How about you?”, he turned the table to me.
“I
limit it to one. That would be enough to have a sound sleep for me.”
“Why
only one?”, he questioned.
“Many things are only one in life. Our life, our
wife, our God, our parents, our religion, our caste, our blood group…” As I was to continue, he lost his patience
and shouted.
“Stop
it. You still have this habit. When you cannot give a direct reply, you try to
twist on the subject.”, He laughed.
“Yeah.
When the question doesn’t deserve a direct reply, I do that”, I too laughed.
The
subject got changed to other issues concerning ex-servicemen and finally we
bade farewell to each other and parted our ways.
Reaching
back home after the tour, I sat down in the evening for my regular drink. I
poured one in the glass and filled the glass with water. I enjoyed the drinks slowly,
recollecting my meeting with that friend and the discussions we had. As I got
up to keep the bottle back on the shelf, his question came up to my mind.
Why
only one?
It
was as if he appeared before me and asked that question at that point of time.
“No.”,
I cautioned myself. “I should not be carried off by the words of others. I have
my own set standards in life on several issues and I should follow only that.”,
I assured myself once more.”
When
after food I lay down to sleep, I began to recollect my meeting him again after
a long time and also our discussions on liquor. “Why only one?”, I just
repeated his question to myself. Pondering over it, I fell into a deep slumber...
* * * *
The
phone bell rang and I attended it. It was my politician friend. He had a good
standing and command over his followers. Had it not been for our long
association and friendship, he would never have called me. He asked me on the
success of my tour and the places that I covered. He knew that I would return
that day and wanted to ensure whether I have returned. How nice it was to have
a well known man as a very close friend. I, in return, enquired about his
family well being.
Then
suddenly the question came up to my mind, “Why only one?” I told him that I
have a very urgent issue to be discussed with him and whether I could discuss
it the next day.
“You
are always welcome, pal. Come tomorrow in the afternoon if that suits you”, he
said. It was usual for us to discuss on social issues and he valued my
suggestions and opinions. I agreed and went to him the next day afternoon.
As
I rang the bell, he opened the door and came out. Seeing me, he walked back to
the sitting room and I followed. I sat opposite to him.
“Why
only one?”, I asked.
“What
do you mean?”, he looked surprised.
“I
am asking why there should be only one marital relation in one’s life”, I put
the question directly. I began to shower the questions one after the other.
“Who
put this restriction?”, I asked.
‘Why
do we need the Hindu Marriage Act restricting one’s life to one wife or one
husband even when they do not find compatible with each other?”
“We
have only one life and should we not be able to live it up to our happiness?”
“I
know women who are forced to continue with incompatible partners for the whole
life bearing all abuses, harassments and humiliations just because they fear of
the social stigma attached in running off from a relation”, I paused waiting
for him to respond.
“I
cannot agree with you. Marriage is like planting a relation and both the
partners should nurture it, build up and maintain it. When children also come
up, the responsibility becomes more and the bond between the partners becomes
stronger. That is the family concept we have and it is the perseverance to
achieve this concept which makes life blissful.”, It was his turn to pause now.
“Life
is only once. Marriage is only a relation that you accept only to make your
life happy. But if you find the relation inconvenient, why not go for a second
or a third?”, I put the question again.
“But
how about the children who might come up in between?”, He was now coming to the
practical side.
“It
is absurd for one to think that children are our make. They were to be born and
so they get born. However, the parents should give them love and bring them up.
For this, each partner is responsible. It is not that one partner can do as he
or she feels like and the other has to bear the entire burden. If the partners
are compatible, there is no problem and they will share the burden equally. But
if the partners are not compatible and prefers to part, either the children
should be allowed to go with the one of their choice or brought up by the Govt
in suitable homes made for that purpose and for which both the partners should
be made to meet the expense. Where it is not possible for a partner to give the
support, the Govt should take up the responsibility of that. That is what a
Govt for. The Govt should ensure the happiness of its subjects and make
necessary laws for that. I am reading up
in the newspapers many cases of mothers running off a relation because they are
fed up of the beatings from their irresponsible husbands after drinks. It is
only the brave ones that run off. Others are afraid of the social stigma and
undergo torture all through the life or commits suicide”. I paused.
“So
what are you coming to?”, He seemed confused.
“The
social stigma against breaking relations should come to an end. People should
be able to accept it as a normal thing; as normal as the marriage itself.
People should be made more aware about their right to be happy in this life. Horoscope
marriages have no meaning. People should be enlightened to the practical way of
living a happy life. If I talk all these, no one would listen. But you have a
political tongue. You might be able to convince people. When you say, they
would listen. That is why I came to you. Bring out social changes by putting up
new ideas.”, I made my points clear.
“We
cannot deviate from our tradition and culture, you see. Our culture has strong
rootings.”, He was now coming up with reasons to cover his inability.
“Then
go and live in the ancient old caves. Why have you built up this beautiful home
at all? We are walking forward with the time. Don’t look back when you walk
forward.”, I was getting impatient.
Meanwhile
his wife brought two cups of tea.
“Right
now it is election time. If I talk anything against our tradition and culture,
it will have unexpected ramifications from all the corners. I think I need to
talk to you on this issue more deeply. We will discuss it more in depth
tomorrow evening over some drinks. It is a long time since we sat together”, He
was concluding our meeting.
“Okay
with me. Then we will meet tomorrow at 7.00 PM sharp”, I took leave of him.
I
kept the time next day and rang the bell. He opened the door and went inside. I
followed. He looked very discomfort. I asked him why he looked so shabby and
disgruntled. He stared directly on may face for a long time. Then he got up,
opened his table drawer, took out a folded paper and gave it to me.
I
read it in silence. “I am leaving. You have time to share your life only with
the public. I have now found a man who is willing to share life with me.
Goodbye. Please don’t come after us. Allow us to live in peace.” It was his wife’s note.
I
folded the paper and gave it back to him. Nothing remained to be discussed
anymore.
“She
is right”, I said.
As
I began my exit, I turned around and asked him, “Why only one?”
* * * *
The
ear breaking sound of the lightning with thunder followed by the sound of heavy
downfall of rain woke me up from my sleep. I looked at the clock. It was only 3
AM. Relieved of the tension created by the dream, I turned to a side for catching
the sleep again.
-
- - - - - - -
No comments:
Post a Comment