Monday, 19 June 2017

TRAPPED




Yes. I once got trapped. Trapped like a rat. Now I know for sure how a rat might feel when it gets trapped. Before coming to that, let me start it from the beginning.
It was my first day in London. I was on a tour and probably the only time I might be on a tour to London. I had a beautiful sight of London from the top of the London eye. The Thames, dividing the city into two halves and with many cruises floating in it, was a sight to see. I and my wife were part of a group on a package tour. After the sight from the top of London eye, we were to have food at a restaurant and then go back to our hotel rooms, winding up the day’s itinerary.
As we entered the restaurant, I found that a liquor bar was running at the entrance hall. I am not an addict, but all the same I have a temptation to alcohol. I had thought of carrying a bottle for use at London, but later decided to taste the London stuff instead. My wife never objects to my habit of taking a peg before dinner because she knows that I never go beyond that limit.
We kept our hand bags on one table and sat on the two chairs lying across it. My wife felt the need to go to a toilet. I told her to proceed and said that I would remain back and take guard of her mobile phone and hand bag till she returned. She came back soon and then I told her that she can go and collect her food, as it was a buffet system running there. She offered back to remain guard of our personal items till I collected my food first. Smilingly, I said that I would like to have the London stuff a little before the dinner. She was disagreeable since we were on a tour and that too in a foreign country. I said that I won’t go above my normal limit and would soon join her. Meanwhile she can begin with her starters. She agreed, though not entirely happy with my idea.
There were others also with my intention, but I did not join them in the bar. I usually take my bit lonely, because I want to be strict on my limit. I do not like any one encouraging me to consume more than what I want, which usually happens in a company.
The taste of it was so encouraging that I thought I may go for a half more. My wife won’t know it as she was sitting away. Yes, a little more won’t make much difference and therefore I had it too. That was enough. I had my drinks with plenty of water and I too felt the need to go to toilet. I decided to finish that first and then join her for the food.
I felt the stuff a bit strong. May be because I had it a little more than the usual, I thought. As I watched for the toilet rooms, I found one door with the sign of a lady on it. So, I went to the door next to it. I turned the handle and it opened. I pushed the door and entered in. As soon as I left the door looking for the toilet facility inside, the door got slammed shut behind me. There was no toilet facility inside. It was vacant. I realised that I have entered not in the toilet room, but in some other room. It seemed that my assumption that the door next to the ladies would ordinarily be for gents had gone wrong. I went back to open the door and go out. But, alas! The door won’t move a bit. I could not pull the handle down. I slammed on the door with my hands, first slowly and then gradually raising the force. I thought someone would hear and open the door from outside. Nothing happened. No one either heard or paid any attention.
On one side of the wall, there was a thick glass through which I could look through. I found the people enjoying their liquor and food. I found my wife having her food slowly, but at the same time watching out for me. Thinking that someone would see me through the glass, I started knocking on the glass. It was strong. I considered whether I should break it. It might create a lot of commotion and sometimes it may land me up in a London jail. Even if I wanted to do it, there was no way to do it as the glass was too strong for my hands and there was nothing in the room to hammer it with. I gave up that idea. I looked through the glass again and found that all were happily enjoying their dinner while I remained trapped in the room.
I looked around and found that there was another door leading from the room. I went to that. It was getting hot inside.The effect of liquor was draining down and sweat began to drip from my forehead. I tried on the handle of that door. It worked and I could open it. Keeping the door open and without leaving it, I looked out where it led to. There was a strong Iron grilled door on the opposite wall of it through which I could see the street outside. I found that the latch on it was not locked. I hoped that I can raise the latch, open that iron grilled door and then get out to the street. What, if the door I held also slammed shut once I leave it? I can afford to take that chance, I thought. Because, I would at least be in a position to call out at people on the street. That was the only chance left now.
I found a large piece of waste cloth on the floor. Extending my leg and without leaving the door, I pulled it with my foot. Then I pushed it under the door on which I held my hand and slowly let it free. I didn’t want to take the chance of that also getting shut, in case I find a need to open it again. As I left my hold on the door, it did not shut completely but remained open with the cloth blocking its way.
Now, I left the door and went to raise the latch of the grilled door. I could not raise it, even though it was not locked. I called out to people. No one bothered to listen. I looked around to find a way of raising the latch. Then I found a small red light on the wall near it with two button switches below it. I pressed on one. The light remained. I pressed on the other. The light turned into green. Again I went to the door to raise the latch. It came up softly. I opened the door and came out on the street. I thanked God for bringing me out. The moment I left the iron door, it also slammed shut behind me.
I did not know which side of the restaurant I was now. I did not even notice the name of the restaurant, to enquire to someone. Looking out up and down, I found the entrance to the restaurant. I had to go and pick my wife. People were coming out after food. And then I found the frightened face of my wife. She was slowly coming out of the restaurant, after waiting too long for me. She asked me what I had been doing all this time and why I was on the street. I didn’t want to tell her the true story. I fumbled for words. Finally I said that after drinks I had gone to the toilet for one. But then I felt the need for two also. That was why I got delayed. Unbelievingly, she asked why then I was on the street and whether I had my food.
While she questioned me and I met them with some answers, my mind was curious on why the door slammed shut behind me. I wanted to find it out. I said her that I did not take food because I was feeling my stomach upset. I said that I wanted to go for two again and I will come back soon. Without waiting for her reply, I entered the restaurant and went to the toilet side again.  I found the door which trapped me. I pushed the handle down to open it. I was determined not to enter it. I slowly began to open it to see the magic of it.
“What are you doing here?” A voice behind me demanded. I turned around and found a staff of the hotel in uniform looking at me. Awkwardly, I said that I wanted to go to toilet. “Way to toilets for gents is just behind you on the other side”, he said. “That is fire exit where you are trying to enter. You could have got trapped.” “Don’t you see the sign above the door?” He asked and went off. For the first time, I looked above the door.
My mind worked swiftly. Now I knew why the door slammed shut. It was made of some heavy fire proof material and made of automatic arrangement that the person from outside can open it, while the fire should not follow him. The iron door to the street was also meant for the persons inside to go out, but not for any one from outside to come in.
I was back to my wife quickly. “How do you feel now?” She asked. “A bit comfortable, but I would rather give rest to my stomach tonight”, I replied.
“Let us go and relax now” I said, leading her to the hotel.
Once in the bed, I thought over the whole episode and then firmly decided not to have the luxury of liquor any more for the rest of our tour days.
On the next day morning, I told her the real story and asked her what she would have done if I were not to come out.
“I would inform the Indian embassy through our Tour Manager and the rest would be looked after by them”, she replied jovially.
------------


No comments:

Post a Comment

EXTRANEOUS INTERVENTIONS

  Writing incidents from my past has been a hobby with me in my retirement life. I did write on many incidents already in this blog, as and ...