Some memories keep haunting you. It comes
back in your mind as a reminder, instilling a confidence in you in difficult
times and guiding you in your course of action.
Traveling by rail might be a pleasure for
those who have got their reservation done in advance; but for others it would
often turn out to be a bitter experience. More so, if one has more luggages to
carry and the distance is far. While in Delhi,
in the early seventies, we would often proceed to the railway station with
durries in our hands on the previous night itself to ensure a front position in
the queue before the reservation counter which would open at 8 AM next day. We
would spread out the durries in a line in front of the counter and sleep there
till next day morning. We, a few friends, often planned our leave period in
advance to travel together to enjoy the comfort of a company during the tedious
journey of three days from Delhi to Kerala. Trains were much less.The
reservation could be done sixty days in advance and one had to be at the
counter exactly sixty days in advance, to at least entertain a hope in his mind
of traveling in reserved coach. A day less, and there would be no scope for any
hope. I still remember those days while I do the reservation now at the click
of a mouse enjoying the comfort of home.
Days in my military life were really hard.
It was at a very short notice that one would get an order to move from one
place to the other, far away. Some times it would be on temporary duties or
else it would be a regular transfer itself with out a comeback. When you get an
order to move, you move. No excuses. You might have set other plans. Change
them. Your personal problems were immaterial. That was the life in military.
On a day while stationed at Nagpur, I was ordered to proceed to
Pune on the next day itself. It was on a temporary duty that would run for a
period of two months. I was living in a barrack, the accommodation for those
who stayed single. It would be a long hall, with cots put along both sides with
the centre space left out for movements. We would keep our trunk box underneath
the cots, which would usually contain mainly the uniform articles. Durries and a blanket on the cot with
white sheet spread over it comprised our bedding. Civil dresses were not much
in use, so I used to have only one or two pairs of them. I was to carry all
these things to Pune next day. I couldn’t leave anything behind, lest it might
not be available when I returned. More over, there was nothing to be left
behind as I would require every thing at the new station. So, there was a
trunk, a bed holder and a small air bag to be carried with me. The free railway
warrant for the travel was given to me on the previous day itself. I had to get
it exchanged. There would always be a long queue. So, I had to be at the
station much earlier to the departure of the train.
I had a hard time pulling my luggage along
with me in the queue for getting the warrant exchanged. The queue was quiet
long as usual. After getting the warrant exchanged, I carried my luggage to the
plat form. The bed holder was on my left shoulder which I supported with the
left hand and the heavy trunk was carried with the right hand. The air bag
hanged from my left shoulder. It was not in my nature to avail the luxury of
engaging a porter. I was strong enough to carry my luggage. And I was always
reluctant to spend money, if avoidable. Live with in my limits. That was my
policy.
The platform was full with people. It was
only about an 18 hour journey, but the night had to be completely spent in the
train. The general compartments were of no hope as the rush was so high.
Perhaps, I thought, I would be able to enter the military compartment, if there
was one. But, where would it be positioned? I had no idea. I could not move
around and make enquiries as I had to carry the luggage too. The announcement
was made. People who were earlier sitting also got up and thronged to fight and
make their way into the compartment. I could also have tried, if only the
luggage was less. I was not in a position to move at all with my luggage in the
rush; then what to talk of fighting my way into the compartment when both my
hands were engaged. No chance. I wondered on what I would explain to my
higher-ups if my journey got delayed. Train rush would never be accepted as an
excuse. I was sure that I would be considered as intentionally absented with
out leave and the punishments would automatically follow.
The train arrived and the fight started. I
didn’t know what to do. People were rushing in through every door. Some were
rounding up the TTEs, who were struggling to make a move with their chart
boards in hand. There was no way for me to make an approach. I should not be
carried off in the rush. I had to keep an eye on my luggage too. Totally
disillusioned and helpless, I stood watching the crowd. Tension was mounting in
me. Minutes passed. The whistle was blown. The train was about to make the
move. Oh God! What a predicament I was in! The
train would move now, leaving me behind with my luggages. Entry through all the
doors of the nearby compartments got blocked with people hanging, taking
support on what ever handles or bars their hands could reach. I knew that the
things would only get repeated, even if I waited for a day more. Unable to move
a bit and in my desperation, I realized that tears were filling my eyes.
Then, it happened. I found a man in a
black coat calling out to me from a compartment ahead. No, he could be calling
for some one else. I looked behind, but found none paying any attention to his
call. I looked at him again. Yes, he was gesturing to me only. He was beckoning
me to go to him. Without losing a moment, I got on the move to him with my
luggages. There was none near the door other than him. He helped me to push the
trunk inside. I threw the bed holder inside. The train, by then, started
moving. With the bag on my shoulder, I ran up along with the train, caught hold
of a handle and jumped inside. Thank God, I was in now. It did not matter to me
even if I had to travel standing all the night.
To my surprise, I found that it was not an
ordinary compartment that I was in. There were only a few berths and I quickly
realized that it was meant for the train staff. The TTE pointed at a berth and
told me that I could settle there. He was wearing a black fur cap. I saw that
he was baldy, when he removed his cap and dried his eyes with a clean white
towel which he pulled out from his pocket. I put my trunk underneath the seat
and unrolled my bed holder on the berth. Thinking of my luck, I slowly stretched
out my body on it. I did not know how to thank the man. He had gone to the
other side. I waited for him to come again so that I could pay him what ever
the charges he demanded. I was ready to pay anything, keeping a little amount
for the auto fare from the station to the camp. Inside the camp, there was no
need for any money. Food and accommodation would be free. I could even seek an
advance from my next month’s pay. And I waited for him…until my eyes closed in
a deep and peaceful slumber.
I woke up late in the morning. I
remembered the man and raised my head to see where he was. I could not find
him. I got down from the berth and wondered why no one came in the night to
check even my ticket. I found a man in black coat sitting near a window seat, but
he was a different person. He just looked at me and then continued to look at
the sights outside. Might be that he had replaced my friend in the night. Might
be that the new comer was briefed about me. All that I knew was that the new
comer was also equally not bothered about my presence in their privacy.
Comfortably, I got down at Pune. I was
thinking on the mystery or rather my luck, without getting an answer to the
puzzle. Why did the TTE call me, when there were many others like me left
behind? It was not for money. I was sure of that. The man never knew me before.
I picked up my luggage and moved. No, I could not move. The puzzle was haunting
my mind badly. I kept the luggage down and decided to sit for a while.
Then, somewhere at the back of my mind, I
remembered the words from the Bible. To the hungry, God comes in the form of
bread…. Yes, that could be it… God might have seen my plight and came to me in
a black coat…
- - - -
No comments:
Post a Comment