Sunday, 12 April 2020

LIFE IS NOT FOR EVER



I had been once in Androth, the largest island among the Lakshadweep islands in the Arabian Sea. It was in the early eighties that I was there. Even though the largest, it has an area of only about five square kilometers. I, along with another person, Joy by name, was to remain there for two months. We were to relieve another two who were already there and who completed a two months term. Two in a batch were deployed for a term of two months to attend to the maintenance of a beacon transmitter over there and to operate it as and when the need arose. There were other equipments too required for communication with any oncoming aircraft. Facilitation of landing for a chopper as and when it arrived for any purpose was our job there. We would get the itinerary well in advance through wireless communication. We took our deployment there, as a chance to visit the island. The onward trip had been by a MI 8 Air Force helicopter from Bangalore en route Cochin. We were to go by ship from Cochin, but since a helicopter was scheduled to go on that day, we got the opportunity to avail that. It took about a little more than an hour to reach Androth from Cochin. It was a large helicopter and could accommodate about eight in comfort.

Joy, my friend with me, was really a joyful man. True to his name, he always looked pleasant. Our interests were almost common and so I considered him as a very good companion. I was rather lucky to have one like him with me in the island.

There was a large library in the island, where plenty of books and other reading materials were available. The ship came to the island only once in three weeks in those days. It brought with it the mails, the newspapers of the past three weeks and the magazines. Food grains and vegetables were also brought by the ship. When the ship came, there would be plenty newspapers and magazines for us to read; sufficient till the next batch arrived. The arrival of a ship was celebrated by the people there, like a festival. We stayed in a guest house and often deeply engrossed ourselves in silently reading the books that we procured from the library. It was a rare chance to have so many books and so much time. We made good use of both. There was no television to steal our time. There were no phones; either mobile or landline. Our means to know of the mainland was the newspapers brought by the ship at a gap of three weeks. Our means to know of our family was the letters received, more than a month after they were written.

In the evenings we would stroll around, conquering the length and breadth of the island. It was often a walk from shore to shore. Leave the sea from one side, only to meet it again on the other side. During such walks, we could get ourselves acquainted to many teachers from the mainland who worked there. There were a few Government schools in the island. The land looked like any village in Kerala with a lot of coconut palms around.

The local people were Muslims and talked Malayalam with a very ancient Malabar accent. There were small hotels, but we preferred our food made in the guest house by its keeper. Ducks were available to be bought from some houses and we often got its meat cooked to suit our taste. Fresh vegetables were not available. So, we depended on a non-vegetarian menu. Chapatti, bread and rice with egg curry, fish curry, duck or chicken were often the dishes for us.  Days in the beginning were very interesting. As days passed, we started getting bored. Two months went by, but there was no information to us on when our relievers would reach.

One day, as we sat in the library, the guest house keeper came to the library to inform us that the ship had come. He said that our relievers had arrived in the guest house. We knew that the ship would be arriving on that day and we had entrusted him to inform us immediately, if the relievers arrived. Normally, the relieved men would go back only by the next ship when it came or by any helicopter, if one luckily arrived. It would ordinarily be not possible to return by the same ship. But, we were determined to give it a chance.

“The ship arrived at about five, but it was six by the time the passengers reached the island”, informed the house keeper.

We knew that the ship would anchor only at a distance of about five kilometers from the shore. The passengers to the island would have to be brought in by boats.

“Your relievers reached the guest house now only”, the house keeper explained the reason for his delay in informing.

I looked at the watch. It was already 7.00 PM.

 “The ship is scheduled to leave the island in the midnight only. But the boat service to it from the port would be wound up at 8.30 PM. You will have to hurry fast if you want to return by the same ship.” He warned.

We had to pack our personal belongings. That wouldn’t take much time. Each of us had carried an airbag only. But, we had to brief the newcomers on the equipments and introduce them to the set up. After that only, we could go to the port. We might make it up. Better try rather than wait again for another three weeks. If we failed in our attempt, it was only a matter of carrying the bag back. It was worth giving a try, we decided. Staying for another three weeks was too much for us to bear.

We hurried to the guest house and got ourselves acquainted with them. We told them of our intention to return by the same ship and requested to accompany us to the building, where the equipments were kept. It was about a kilometer away. Even though tired after their journey, they co-operated with us. After briefing every thing, we returned to the guest house. I looked at the watch. It was already 8.15 PM.

Fifteen minutes left out. And the port was about a kilometer away. We, almost,  ran the distance. It was a difficult terrain to negotiate with. When we reached the port, the time was 8.35 PM. What we could see was the boat rushing to the ship with the last batch of passengers in it.

“Some times the boatmen may ply once more exclusively for you, if you pay for it.” Encouraged a person nearby who saw our plight, standing with the bags and looking at the departed boat.

“But, the ticket counter is also closed.” I pointed out.

“That is no problem. It will be closed once the boat made its last trip. But, there would be counters in the ship also as you enter. You can buy the tickets from there.” He seemed to be quite experienced.

The boat was on its return trip from the ship.

When it reached, we pleaded with them to take us also and agreed to pay the extra. They readily agreed. We entered the motor boat and it started its journey to the ship. That was the first time I traveled in a motor boat in the open sea. Reaching nearer to the ship, I noticed that there was no ladder for us to climb in the ship. The ladder has been already lifted up. Only a big rope was hanging by the door, which remained wide opened.

“Since the last batch was already inside, they must have pulled up the ladder. You need not be bothered on that.  You can take support with your toes on the side of the ship while climbing, pulling on the rope”, said one of the boat men to us in a very casual manner, as if it was a very easy thing to do.

I looked at Joy. He was studying the situation and measuring the risks involved. But he was still in a joyful mood, a confidence brimming on his face. He seemed to be ready to take up the challenge. It was re-assuring to see him that way, and I too felt confident. Any way we have plunged into this. It would be shameful to return now.

When the boat reached near the ship, the boatman asked us to throw our bags into the ship. Joy promptly threw his bag inside the ship in a swing. He started his way up by the rope. It was about a ten feet climb. Reaching at the top, he caught hold of a handle and landed himself safely in. The boatman, before I could do it myself, snatched my bag from me and threw it up inside the ship.

 “Hurry up, We are already late”, the boatman snapped. I started my climb. As I reached the middle way, I heard a roaring sound of an engine gaining momentum. I looked back and found that the boat was leaving. It was immaterial for them whether I climbed up or fell down.

“Don’t look here and there. Climb up.” That was Joy shouting at me.

Climbing up was the only thing to do now. There was no question of any going back. That cautioned me further. Somewhere within me, I felt an extra confidence developing.  I have to, I told myself.  I was no more perturbed and my mind became strong. With deliberate and swift movements, I made it up. I caught hold of the handle and Joy supported me to enter the ship. I turned around and looked at the boat. It was far away, slowly going out of sight.

As we sat comfortably in the ship, I told Joy that it was a big risk that we had taken.

“There is no life in living without risks. But, take only calculated risks”, he advised.

“The boat and men were ready below when you climbed up. But I was like a trapeze artist performing in a circus without a net below.” I tried to gain a point over him.

“That made no difference. If I were to fall, it would definitely be between the ship and the boat. No one would be able even to see me”, he laughed enjoying his adventure.

“I would not have even attempted, if you had not shown the way first”, I admitted.

After having the food from the dining room inside, we spread out our sheets to lie down.

The hang over of the adventure was still haunting me. As we lay down to sleep, I told Joy that this was worth remembering through out our life.

“Life is not for ever, any way. One should live up to it as it comes and not be scared by it”, declared Joy.

I kept silent.  I pondered over what he said. His words were penetrating deep into my mind. 

“Joy.”, I called him.

“Yes”, he answered.

“From where did you get that?”  I asked.

“Get what?” He queried.

“Those words you said a little ago.” I reminded.

He thought for a moment trying to recollect it.

 Then he said, “Oh that! No man, that is not from any one. It is my own philosophy.” His words were weak. “I am feeling sleepy. Good night”, he stated in a withered voice.

That was to tell me that I should not disturb him again.

“Good night”, I responded.

I kept thinking over the episode, watching our climb in the mirror of my mind.

I looked again at Joy. He was already asleep.

I did not feel sleepy. “Life is not for ever…...” . His words kept on ringing in my mind, like the toll of a temple bell.

------

No comments:

Post a Comment

EXTRANEOUS INTERVENTIONS

  Writing incidents from my past has been a hobby with me in my retirement life. I did write on many incidents already in this blog, as and ...